This website uses cookies
We request permissions to obtain statistics of your browser navigation. If your keep browsing, we consider that you accept the use of cookies



Why be an Au Pair in Spain?

Spain is a country that offers a lot of possibilities, including learning the second most spoken language in the world.

Spain has a population over 48 million inhabitants; it has always been one of the favourite touristic places not only within Europe but also at a worldwide level.

Its capital city, Madrid, as well as Barcelona, are the two cities that receive the biggest number of tourists per year, and many tourists visit La Alhambra, in Granada, the City of Arts and Sciences, in Valencia, the Great Mosque of Córdoba, the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, and small, beautiful cities like Toledo or Segovia.

Apart from the wide cultural variety you may find in Spain, there is its incomparable cuisine and a sunny weather, which will allow you to enjoy its beautiful beaches (Ibiza, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands, Barcelona, San Sebastián, Cíes Islands, Valencia, Alicante).

And, as if that weren't enough, do not forget the so popular festivals such as Las Fallas of Valencia or the festival of San Fermín in Pamplona, as well as the nightlife, together with the good mood of its people, which makes it a funny and friendly destination.

The main Spanish cities are:















Main conditions of the Au Pair programme in Spain:

  • Range of accepted age: 18-30 years old
  • Working hours: 30 hours per week, which may be extended or reduced as agreed upon with the host family and according to the weekly pay established.
  • Holidays and free days: the Au Pair shall have a holiday week every six months. The Au Pair must have at least one free day, always including Sundays. 
  • Ticket expenses: the Au Pair will bear any expenses involved in her/his trip, unless the family are willing to pay such expenses, either in whole or in part.
  • Insurance: if the Au Pair belongs to a member state of the European Union, the Au Pair must request the European Health Card, which is valid in Spain. Furthermore, it is advisable that the host family hire an accident and liability insurance policy during the Au Pair's stay .
    If the Au Pair does not come from the European Union, the Au Pair must hire an appropriate health insurance which must be paid by the Au Pair and the host family equally, unless otherwise stated in the agreement executed with the host family.
  • Language: you do not need any basic Spanish level at all; however, in order for the Au Pair to be integrated as soon as possible into the family life and Spanish culture, we recommend that the Au Pair have a basic Spanish level.
  • Weekly pay: EUR 60-90, USD 65-95, GBP 45-65



EU or EFTA countries:

Citizens of the European Union or EFTA do not need any visa to be an Au Pair in Spain. They only need a valid passport, an agreement executed with the family, and register upon arrival in Spain for long time periods with the Registry of Inhabitants, and request a Registration Certificate of European Union citizen.


Countries having a Working Holiday visa agreement with Spain: 

Australia, Canada and New Zealand have a Working Holiday agreement with Spain, therefore citizens from these countries may request this type of visa.

To that effect, they must contact the Spanish embassy in the source country in order to check requirements, expected number of visas they will need for a year and file their request. 


Other countries:

Any Au Pairs not included in the foregoing list will need to request an Au Pair visa for Spain.

If your stay as an Au Pair will last less than three months, you must check if your country is exempt from requesting a visa, otherwise, you must request a short-term or a student visa.

If your stay as an Au Pair will last more than 3 months, the best option to obtain a visa is through the student visa. To that effect, you must register, before requesting the visa, with a Spanish language course, university or any course to obtain a master's degree.

In the case of the Spanish language course, to obtain the visa you must sign up for the course and submit the pertinent registration with a school supported by the Cervantes Institute and the course must last at least 20 weekly hours.



If you want to be Au Pair or host Family in Spain, Ireland or UK, NeedAuPair recommends to contact the physical Au Pair agency "Vip Au Pair 

The main objective of our Vip Au PAir is to facilitate a balanced work and family life for families, and at the same time, allow young people originating mainly from Europe to take part in the Au Pair program in safe and secure working conditions, both through the high cultural level of the families and also through the establishment of measures to avoid the exploitation of Au Pairs with working hours and allocated tasks.

All of the VIP Au Pairs, are young people between 18 – 30 years old, originating mainly from Europe, and have been carefully selected by our team, all having in common that: they like to work with children and have previous experience caring for children, and also are highly motivated to get to know the culture and language of a new country, and form part of a host family where they will fit in another family member like an older brother or sister. 


Essential links:  

Spanish embassies around the world

Information from the Government of Spain to foreigners

Cervantes Institute


Au Pair Agreement

European health card

Given the particular regulations of each country as regards the visa and any changes that may occur as to the process to obtain it, is not responsible for the information, opinions, and advice expressed on this website and, in every case, it recommends that users get information on these topics in each reference country.



Health insurance

Health insurance Au Pair


Before starting your stay as an Au Pair, you must hire a health insurance policy for your entire Au Pair programme, so in case of need of medical assistance you have health insurance coverage, otherwise, you may have to face very high medical expenses. Moreover, in most countries, it is essential to have a private health insurance to obtain a visa.

Therefore, having a health insurance for your stay is essential; we recommend that you get information in your country about the type of insurance you will need and ask your insurance company, in case of already having an insurance policy in force, if such insurance policy will be valid abroad.
The health insurance an Au Pair will need for her/his stay abroad under the Au Pair programme will depend on whether her/his country belongs to the European Union as well as on the target country chosen.

Thus, any Au Pair who is a European citizen and who will be an Au Pairs in a European Union country, may only need a European Health Card, according to the coverage of her/his health card in her/his country and in the host country.

However, those Au Pairs who are not European Union citizen or those who are part of the European Union and choose a target country that is not within the European Union, will need to obtain a private health insurance that, depending on the target country and the Agreement executed with the host family, will be paid the Au Pair, by the host family, or by both of them equally.

In order to obtain your private health insurance, you should contact different insurance companies in your country; there are worldwide insurance companies specialised in private health insurance policies both for Au Pairs and students.

European health card

It is a free card that provides you with access to public health services —necessary for medical reasons— during a temporary stay in any of the 28 member states of the EU, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, under the same conditions and for the same costs (health services are free in some countries) applicable to people insured in such countries.

Cards are issued by the social security office in your country.

Some important aspects to be considered as regards the European health card are:

  • It is not an alternative to a travel insurance. It does not cover private health assistance or costs such as the return ticket to your country or the loss or theft of your belongings.
  • It does not cover your expenses if you travel for the purpose of receiving any health treatment.
  • It does not guarantee service's absence of charge. Since the health assistance systems are different in every country, some services may be free of charge in some countries but not in others.


Therefore, before travelling to the host country and requesting the card, you should obtain information on the services covered by the European Health Card at the social security offices located in your country. Likewise, you may find more information on the European Commission website:

Such European Health Card is especially interesting for every Au Pair from a European Union member state, since it is issued for temporary stays abroad and provides you with the right to public health services. Furthermore, given that being an Au Pair is deemed an exchange programme and not a job, you will be exempt from paying rates in most counties and will not need to hire a private insurance within the EU, although it is still advisable that you hire a private health insurance since, depending on the length of your stay as an Au Pair, some countries will make you register with the health system of their country or hire a private insurance policy.