This website uses cookies
We request permissions to obtain statistics of your browser navigation. If your keep browsing, we consider that you accept the use of cookies



Why be an Au Pair in Spain?

Spain is a country that offers a lot of possibilities, including learning the second most spoken language in the world.

Spain has a population over 48 million inhabitants; it has always been one of the favourite touristic places not only within Europe but also at a worldwide level.

Its capital city, Madrid, as well as Barcelona, are the two cities that receive the biggest number of tourists per year, and many tourists visit La Alhambra, in Granada, the City of Arts and Sciences, in Valencia, the Great Mosque of Córdoba, the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, and small, beautiful cities like Toledo or Segovia.

Apart from the wide cultural variety you may find in Spain, there is its incomparable cuisine and a sunny weather, which will allow you to enjoy its beautiful beaches (Ibiza, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands, Barcelona, San Sebastián, Cíes Islands, Valencia, Alicante).

And, as if that weren't enough, do not forget the so popular festivals such as Las Fallas of Valencia or the festival of San Fermín in Pamplona, as well as the nightlife, together with the good mood of its people, which makes it a funny and friendly destination.

The main Spanish cities are:















Main conditions of the Au Pair programme in Spain:

  • Range of accepted age: 18-30 years old
  • Working hours: 30 hours per week, which may be extended or reduced as agreed upon with the host family and according to the weekly pay established.
  • Holidays and free days: the Au Pair shall have a holiday week every six months. The Au Pair must have at least one free day, always including Sundays. 
  • Ticket expenses: the Au Pair will bear any expenses involved in her/his trip, unless the family are willing to pay such expenses, either in whole or in part.
  • Insurance: if the Au Pair belongs to a member state of the European Union, the Au Pair must request the European Health Card, which is valid in Spain. Furthermore, it is advisable that the host family hire an accident and liability insurance policy during the Au Pair's stay .
    If the Au Pair does not come from the European Union, the Au Pair must hire an appropriate health insurance which must be paid by the Au Pair and the host family equally, unless otherwise stated in the agreement executed with the host family.
  • Language: you do not need any basic Spanish level at all; however, in order for the Au Pair to be integrated as soon as possible into the family life and Spanish culture, we recommend that the Au Pair have a basic Spanish level.
  • Weekly pay: EUR 60-90, USD 65-95, GBP 45-65



EU or EFTA countries:

Citizens of the European Union or EFTA do not need any visa to be an Au Pair in Spain. They only need a valid passport, an agreement executed with the family, and register upon arrival in Spain for long time periods with the Registry of Inhabitants, and request a Registration Certificate of European Union citizen.


Countries having a Working Holiday visa agreement with Spain: 

Australia, Canada and New Zealand have a Working Holiday agreement with Spain, therefore citizens from these countries may request this type of visa.

To that effect, they must contact the Spanish embassy in the source country in order to check requirements, expected number of visas they will need for a year and file their request. 


Other countries:

Any Au Pairs not included in the foregoing list will need to request an Au Pair visa for Spain.

If your stay as an Au Pair will last less than three months, you must check if your country is exempt from requesting a visa, otherwise, you must request a short-term or a student visa.

If your stay as an Au Pair will last more than 3 months, the best option to obtain a visa is through the student visa. To that effect, you must register, before requesting the visa, with a Spanish language course, university or any course to obtain a master's degree.

In the case of the Spanish language course, to obtain the visa you must sign up for the course and submit the pertinent registration with a school supported by the Cervantes Institute and the course must last at least 20 weekly hours.



If you want to be Au Pair or host Family in Spain, Ireland or UK, NeedAuPair recommends to contact the physical Au Pair agency "Vip Au Pair 

The main objective of our Vip Au PAir is to facilitate a balanced work and family life for families, and at the same time, allow young people originating mainly from Europe to take part in the Au Pair program in safe and secure working conditions, both through the high cultural level of the families and also through the establishment of measures to avoid the exploitation of Au Pairs with working hours and allocated tasks.

All of the VIP Au Pairs, are young people between 18 – 30 years old, originating mainly from Europe, and have been carefully selected by our team, all having in common that: they like to work with children and have previous experience caring for children, and also are highly motivated to get to know the culture and language of a new country, and form part of a host family where they will fit in another family member like an older brother or sister. 


Essential links:  

Spanish embassies around the world

Information from the Government of Spain to foreigners

Cervantes Institute


Au Pair Agreement

European health card

Given the particular regulations of each country as regards the visa and any changes that may occur as to the process to obtain it, is not responsible for the information, opinions, and advice expressed on this website and, in every case, it recommends that users get information on these topics in each reference country.



Visa for the Au pair

Visa for the Au pair


Any non-European Au Pair who chooses a European Union country, or a non-European country, as well as any European Au Pair who selects as target country a non-European Union country, will need a Visa for her/his stay as an Au Pair in such target country.

According to the host country, the type of Visa and the requirements to obtain it will vary from one country to another one based on their different regulations.

You may find information in the countries section on the general requirements needed for each country to obtain a Visa. advises you to request information at the embassy or consulate of the target country located in your country.

In any case, the Au Pair shall be responsible for following the procedure to obtain a visa. However, it is important that the host family also obtain information and provide support to their Au Pair at all times, as well as send any necessary documentation (agreement and letter of invitation) so that the Au Pair shall have evidence of her/his stay in the host country.

The host family may obtain information in the domestic immigration office on the standard requirements the country's embassy demands from an Au Pair.

Usually, the Au Pair will need the following documents to obtain a Visa:

  • ID or passport in force; make sure both documents are in force to request a Visa.

  • The agreement signed by the Au Pair and the host family.

  • A letter of invitation written by the host family (in some cases it must be certified by a notary public) and sent to the Au Pair so that the latter is able to justify her/his stay.

  • A criminal records certificate: applicants having criminal records will not obtain a visa.

  • Health certificate stating the Au Pair is a healthy person.

  • Some countries may also require the Au Pair to have a minimum level of the host country's language, which will be evidenced by an official document issued by a determined entity.  


European Union and European Free Trade Association member states

Special visa for the Au Pair:  J1 and Working Holiday


European Union and European Free Trade Association member states

Every citizen born in a European Union member state is entitled to the right of free movement,  which allows them to live and work in any country belonging to the EU. This right is also granted to citizens from countries belonging to the European Free Trade Association.

Currently, the European Union comprises 28 member states:

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania, and Sweden.

Apart from these countries, citizens from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, given that they belong to the European Free Trade Association, are entitled to the right of free movement within the European Economic Area, formed by 28 member states of the European Union.

There are countries in the adhesion path but which are not yet members and therefore their citizens are not entitled to the advantages of the EU countries, namely: Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Turkey.

Special visa for the Au Pair:  J1 and Working Holiday

J-1 visa

To be an Au Pair in the United States you will need to obtain a visa, the J-1 being the simplest one since it is a special visa issued to participate in cultural exchange programmes in the United States for 12 and 24-month periods.

General requirements to obtain a J-1 visa are:

  • Be between 18 and 26 years old

  • Have a certain English level

  • Be healthy; a health certificate will be required

  • Have no criminal records; a criminal records certificate will be required

  • Have experience in childcare

  • Have completed mandatory Secondary School

  • Have a driving license

  • Not having been an Au Pair in the United States before


After finding through your host family, the family must register you with a U.S. agency sponsoring the J-1 visa, which will guide you through any necessary procedures.

In the following link you may find all the necessary information to obtain a J-1 visa:


Working Holiday visa

The Working Holiday visa is a residence permit allowing foreign citizens to live and work during a certain period of time in a host country; it is issued so that citizens are able to travel and have the possibility of enjoying the lifestyle of a foreign country without need to incur standard costs involved in a permanent residence, therefore, it is ideal for those people who want to become Au Pairs.

In order to obtain such visa it is essential that your country and the host country have signed an agreement under the Working Holiday programme.

Countries, grouped by continents, that offer this type of visa are:

  • Oceania: Australia and New Zealand

  • Middle East and Africa: Israel and South Africa

  • America: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, the United States and Uruguay 

  • Asia: Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia,  the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam

  • Europe: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.


Such visa is not applicable to all the previous countries, but it depends on particular agreements executed between the two countries, that is why recommends that you request information from the embassy or consulate of the target country located in your country, to check that the target country and the country you choose have executed an agreement which allows you to obtain a Working Holiday visa, as well as the requirements established to obtain such visa.